DIY water analytics & effect of the invisible pharmaceutical pollutants in water by Robertina Šebjanič (SI), Gjino Šutić (HR)
Workshop - a spin off of aqua_forensic research by Gjino Šutić (HR) and Robertina Šebjanič (SI).
During the workshop participants will be get introduced to the problematics of contemporary invisible water pollutants through practice by mentors Gjino Šutić (HR) and Robertina Šebjanič (SI). Through hybrid approach (combining science, DIY citizen’s science & art) these topics will be investigated in local environment.
These invisible chemical pollutants are very present and mostly are the legal & illegal drugs – mood controllers, antibiotics, antimycotics, painkillers, hormone pills etc.
During the workshop we will work on in-vitro experiments with pharmaceuticals to see what is their impact on the microorganisms.
Workshop will also include field trip - investigation of local underwater environment with the hydrophones for using auditory senses in research and scientific tools to analyse water on site and collect soil & water sample for further lab analysis.
4 days workshop / 4h per day
DIY water analytics & effect of the invisible pharmaceutical pollutants in water
Duration: 4 days (4h per day)
Participants: optimal 10 - max 15 participants
- intro lecture on contemporary invisible water pollutants, their significance and research conducted under aqua_forensic
- practical introduction in citizen’s science techniques & practices, DIY laboratory (tools, materials & setup)
- Into to basic DIY (do-it-yourself) water analytics
- practical intro to aquatic microorganisms
- practical intro in pharmaceuticals
- in vitro experiments with effect of “locally popular” consumable pharmaceuticals on microorganisms (5 different species),
participants will be invited to bring their “personal pharmaceuticals” to do in-vitro experiments with them
- ecological research field trip:
* local water ecosystem exploration
* field research with DIY science tools and hydrophones
* sampling of local microflora and fauna (aquatic microorganisms)
- biological sample analytics (photo_safari hunt for microorganisms)
- DIY & DIWO (do it with others) conceptual science+art solution making for reducing overuse and pollution with
Robertina Šebjanič (SI) is an internationally exhibited artist. Her artistic work deals with the cultural, (bio)political and ecological realities of aquatic environments. With her projects she tackles the philosophical questions at the intersection of art, technology and science. Her projects are often
realized in collaboration with others, through interdisciplinary and informal integration in her work. She is member of Hackteria Network and Theremidi Orchestra.
Gjino Šutić (HR) is a biotechnologist, post-modern intermedia artist, innovator & educator. He is the founder and director of Universal Research Institute & Gen0 Industries. Gjino conducts research in several fields of science (such as biotechnology, bioelectronics, experimental electronics, ecological
engineering) and postmodern new media art (Bio Art, Digital Art, Installation Art, Multimedia Art &, Hybrid Art).